Back to top

Voluntary Transfers

This flier is an attempt by BFT to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about voluntary (teacher-initiated) transfers.  For more information please contact your Site Rep.

Q: Do I have automatic voluntary transfer rights under our current contract?

A:  No, state law changed in 2007 and it barred districts and unions from agreeing to any form of automatic transfer rights.  Teachers may request a voluntary transfer, but BUSD must approve the request.

Q:  How do I find out about transfer opportunities?

A:  You should carefully review the postings of open positions that will come out in the spring. The postings are distributed to all certificated employees via email.

Q:  What do I do if I want to request a voluntary transfer?

A:  You should complete the Transfer Request form that comes with the posting by the deadline specified in the posting and email it to Brent Daniels, Director of Personnel.  You should include a brief email with your form asking for confirmation that your form has been received.

Q:  Should I tell my principal that I am requesting a transfer?

A:  If you are a permanent teacher you should cc your principal on the email.  If you are a temporary or probationary teacher you should consult with your Site Rep on this question.

Q: If more than one teacher applies for a vacant position which candidate is selected?

A: The selection of a candidate is at the district’s discretion.  An outside candidate may be chosen even if a current BUSD teacher applies.  



Updated 2/24/17