Help Guide to Problem Solving with Payroll, Benefits and Human Resources in BUSD from the Berkeley Federation of Teachers
- It is best to contact all of these departments using email. We do not recommend using the phone under any circumstances. If you choose to contact these offices by phone or in person ALWAYS follow up with an email that summarizes what was discussed and decided.
- All BUSD emails are firstname.lastname@example.org. For example, email@example.com.
- Be sure to KEEP A COPY of any correspondence or forms you turn in to any of these offices. When submitting documents to BUSD, we recommend that you deliver ALL DOCUMENTS to BUSD as a scan into an email.
- Be sure to always keep your paycheck stubs, copies of timesheets, and copies of all of your absence certificates. These documents are often critical in solving problems.
If you suspect an error (i.e. incorrect stipend amount, incorrect calculation, incorrect deductions, TSA, Section 125, retirement, etc.,) follow these procedures:
1) Call your Payroll Specialist:
For Last names Alpha A-M, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For Last names Alpha N-Z, please email email@example.com
2) If you report your paycheck problem to your payroll specialist listed above and receive no response in a few days or the problem continues unresolved, email Payroll Supervisor Nicole Caldwell and include:
a) Your name and school site
b) A short written description of the problem, and
c) The date(s) you contacted your Payroll Specialist and what response you received.
3) If your underpayment remains unresolved after a week, please contact BFT at firstname.lastname@example.org with the same information listed above in #2.
The Benefits office handles all matters related to medical, dental and visual (VSP) insurance, in addition to the life insurance all BUSD employees receive and the Employee Assistance Program. If you believe your benefits deductions are incorrect on your paycheck, or you have a question about your benefits you should email Courtney King.
NOTE: Do not use the email@example.com email address as it is not monitored.
If you do not get a reply to your email and resolution to your question or concern please send an email to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources Samantha Tobias-Espinosa with a cc to BFT at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you talk to a Benefits Specialist in person, be sure to follow up with an email summarizing the discussion.
If you have a question or concern regarding Workers’ Compensation Insurance you should contact Betty Torrian-Lee, Workers Comp Specialist. If you talk to Ms. Torrian-Lee in person, be sure to follow up with an email summarizing the discussion. You can also find Workers’ Compensation procedures information on the BFT website. If you do not get a reply to your email, please contact Assistant Superintendent of Business Services Pauline Follansbee. Please cc BFT.
- Your FTE
- Your status (Temporary, Probationary I, Probationary II, etc.)
- Your step and column
- Your Employee Information Verification form
- Submitting transcripts for new courses you have completed
- Moving over a column on the salary schedule
- Whether you were placed correctly on the salary schedule when you were hired
Leave of Absence Requests:
If you are requesting a leave of absence, including medical or child-rearing leaves, you should email your request to Glendaly Gascot-Rios, Director of Human Resources and you should include a completed Leave of Absence Request form. This form, and an FAQ on leaves of absence, are available on our website under "Resources".
Sick Leave Balance
If you have a question about your sick leave balance you should email Sharon Varnae.
in the Human Resources department. If you do not get resolution to your question please email Glendaly Gascot-Rios, Director of Human Resources, with a cc to BFT. Adult School Teachers should contact Mildred Scherr for all sick leave balance questions.
STRS Service Credit and/or Contributions
If you have a question related to STRS you should contact Payroll Supervisor Nicole Caldwell.
Change of Address
To report a change of address, change of name, etc. to all BUSD departments, including Payroll, complete the Change of Address form and scan it to Sheila Rose. You must complete, sign and scan this form; a simple email is not enough.
Turning in transcripts and inservice credits
Send transcripts and inservice credit hour forms to email@example.com. You no longer need preapproval but these must be sent in by November 15th to count for the current year. You can find this form on the BFT website.
The best way to contact BFT is to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.