Back to top

Help Guide to Payroll, Benefits, & Human Resources


  • It is best to contact all of these departments using email. We do not recommend using the phone under any circumstances. If you choose to contact these offices in person ALWAYS follow up with an email that summarizes what was discussed and decided.

  • All BUSD emails are For example,

  • If you receive a request from a central office employee to “give me a call”, please email them again to ask for a reply via email.

  • Be sure to KEEP A COPY of any correspondence or forms you turn in to any of these offices. We recommend that you deliver ALL DOCUMENTS to BUSD as a scan into an email.

  • Be sure to always keep your paycheck stubs or green receipts, and copies of all of your absence certificates. These documents are often critical in solving problems.


If you suspect an error for any reason (i.e. incorrect step or column placement, incorrect FTE%, incorrect stipend amount, incorrect calculation, incorrect deductions such as for health benefits, TSA, Section 125, retirement, etc.,) follow these procedures:

1) Email your Payroll Specialist:

  • Last Names A-J: Malika Upshur
  • Last Names K-Z: Kevin Younger

2) If you report your paycheck problem to your payroll specialist listed above and receive no response in a few days or the problem continues unresolved, email Payroll Supervisor Nicole Caldwell and include:  

  1. Your name and school site
  2. A short written description of the problem, and
  3. The date(s) you contacted your Payroll Specialist and what response you received.

3) If your underpayment remains unresolved after a week, please contact BFT at with the same information listed above in #2.


The Benefits office handles all matters related to medical, dental and visual (VSP) insurance, in addition to the life insurance all BUSD employees receive and the Employee Assistance Program.  If you believe your benefits deductions are incorrect on your paycheck, or you have a question about your benefits you should email Ellaray Waller.

NOTE: Do not use the email address, as it is not monitored.

If you do not get a reply to your email and resolution to your question or concern please send an email to Benefits Supervisor Kimberle Sanders (note spelling) with a cc to BFT at

If you talk to a Benefits Specialist in person, be sure to follow up with an email summarizing the discussion.  


If you have a question or concern regarding Workers’ Compensation Insurance you should contact Betty Torrian-Lee, Workers Comp Specialist.  If you talk to Ms. Torrian-Lee in person, be sure to follow up with an email summarizing the discussion. You can also find Workers’ Compensation procedures information here. If you do not get a reply to your email, please contact Benefits Supervisor, Kimberle Sanders (note spelling). Please cc BFT.


Contact Brent Daniels, Director of Human Resources, via email if you have a question or concern about:

  • Your FTE

  • Your status (Temporary, Probationary I, Probationary II, etc.)

  • Resigning

  • Your step and column

  • Your Personnel Action Status Form

  • Submitting transcripts for new courses you have completed

  • Moving over a column on the salary schedule

  • Whether you were placed correctly on the salary schedule when you were hired

Leave of Absence Requests

If you are requesting a leave of absence, including medical or child-rearing leaves, you should put your request in the form of a hard copy letter (be sure to keep a copy) to Brent Daniels, Director of Human Resources and you should include a completed Leave of Absence Request form. This form, and an FAQ on leaves of absence, are available on our website under "Resources".


If you have a question about your sick leave balance you should email Sharon Vernae, Senior Personnel Assistant.  If you do not get resolution to your question please email Brent Daniels, Director of Human Resources, with a cc to BFT.


If you have a question related to STRS you should contact Payroll Supervisor Nicole Caldwell


To report a change of address, change of name, etc. to all BUSD departments, including Payroll, complete the Change of Address form and scan it to Sheila Rose. You must complete, sign and scan this form; a simple email is not enough.   


Requests for prior course approval (so that salary advancement will occur) should be emailed to Evelyn Bradley, Assistant Superintendent.  You can find this form on the BFT website


The best way to contact BFT is to send an email to  

Updated 2/27/17